Monday, October 27, 2008

Just a Northern Boy


Growing up with a pretty much shielded life and not really experiencing certain aspects of life that others have and not really completely understanding the world and the big picture of life itself. I came to a school in the south and I ran into something that I had never seen a day before in my life while living in NY for 13 years of my life the confederate flag. Not necessarily understanding the flag only know its standing for the south during the Civil War I did some research on it to get a true understanding on it all. I learned that the flag went through several changes during the period from 1861-1865, six states currently have the flag or some form of it within their state flags and other information as well. As someone coming from the north opinions towards the flag were definitely something I looked into. Many people saw it as a symbol of southern pride while others saw it as a symbol of hatred and a time that a now strong nation was at one of its weakest points. After learning all of this I still had both a mixed emption about the flag in the end. With this topic comes into play the issue of things such as the swastika that would cause a stir if displayed freely anywhere. But as I've said before opinions are based on what side of the spectrum you fall under. Though we sometimes try to place a blind eye towards certain things it creates a mixed field of emotions when it has a negative basis behind it.

No comments: